Think safety first!
June 4, 2012
NAPERVILLE, Ill. — With summer right around the corner, more people headed outdoors to spruce up flowerbeds and tackle do-it-yourself projects. Before starting any project, the right thing to do is to think about safety first.
June is National Safety Month, and in recognition of this annual observance, Nicor Gas is taking the opportunity to remind customers on how to stay safe around natural gas.
As a company that provides natural gas service to more than 2.2 million customers in northern Illinois, Nicor Gas is committed to providing safe and reliable service and part of that responsibility is informing the public about their role in natural gas safety.
Below are recommended guidelines associated with natural gas safety:
Natural Gas Safety
- Leak Detection: Natural gas is injected with a distinct odor, which many people equate to that of rotten eggs. If the odor of gas is present, immediately leave the affected area leaving doors and windows open during their exit. Call Nicor Gas at 1-888-Nicor4u (1-888-642-6748) from a safe location. Do not use a telephone or cellular phone, turn light switches on or off, or operate any appliance or anything that might cause a spark, such as lighting a match.
- Meter Safety: Customers should be able to locate their natural gas meter, and ensure that it is clear of obstructions that can damage the meter. During the summer, be mindful of keeping any fire source away from your meter or landscaping near the meter. Do not drop cigarettes, matches or any other flammable items in mulch or grass near your meter.
- Appliance Safety: Keep your appliances running safely and at peak efficiency by having a certified professional perform a maintenance check. Ensure your appliances are vented properly. Be sure to clean air filters regularly and replace them as directed by the manufacturer.
- Don’t dig without calling JULIE (Joint Utility Locating Information for Excavators) first. Call 8-1-1 or 1-800-892-0123 to schedule a free marking of your underground utility lines so you can dig safely. State law requires your lines to be marked before you begin any digging around your property. Inclement Weather Safety
- Customers affected by natural disasters, such as floods or tornados, are advised to inspect for natural gas leaks, as appliance connectors and gas piping may be impacted.
- If gas appliances have been submerged or remain under water, do not attempt to operate until a certified professional conducts a safety inspection.
Personal Safety and Financial Security
- When a field service representative visits a home or business, he or she will provide company identification. If needed, however, you may contact customer care at 1-888-642-6748 to confirm that a representative has been scheduled to perform work at your premises.
- To verify that the phone call from a customer service representative is legitimate, request to have the representative confirm information about your account that only you and the company would know.
- Nicor Gas will never ask for account or credit card information in an email. Customers can safely access and make changes to their account information and payment methods using the “My Account” online account management option.
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than two million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. As the nation’s largest natural gas-only distributor based on customer count, AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than 1 million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Nicor National, which markets natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.