Nicor Gas encourages customers to prepare for winter heating season
October 3, 2013
NAPERVILLE, IL – Oct. 3, 2013 – The fall season has begun and the cooler temperatures also will arrive soon. Nicor Gas wants to help customers better prepare for the winter season by encouraging them to take advantage of available programs that can provide assistance with managing heating bills and natural gas use:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) helps eligible customers pay for their winter heating service and also may cover the cost of repairing or replacing heating equipment in customers’ homes through federal and state funded grants that do not need to be repaid. Eligibility is based on household size and income.
- The program opened on Sept. 3 for seniors (60 years of age and older) and disabled individuals.
- Households with children under five years old and eligible households with heating equipment that is non-operable or that has been tagged by the utility company because of safety concerns can apply for a one-time grant beginning Oct. 1.
- General enrollment for all other qualified customers will begin on Nov. 1.
For more information about LIHEAP or to locate an application agency in their area, residents can call 877-411-9276 (WARM).
- The Nicor Gas Sharing Program is made up of contributions from Nicor Gas customers and employees that are matched up to $175,000 annually by Nicor Gas. The program provides a one-time annual grant benefit to eligible applicants. To apply, customers can visit their local Salvation Army office and take with them the following documentation: proof of income, proof of residence (photo ID, such as a driver's license or state ID) and current Nicor Gas bill.
- Energy Fairs offer customers a community venue where they can get additional information about available energy assistance programs. Nicor Gas is partnering with other local utility companies to host three south suburban energy fairs in November:
- Saturday, Nov. 2, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 333 E. 162nd St. in South Holland;
- Thursday, Nov. 14, from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Biela Center, 4545 Midlothian Turnpike in Crestwood
- Saturday, Nov. 23, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Ford Heights Community Service Center, 943 E. Lincoln Highway in Ford Heights.
Those who attend the fairs should bring with them proof of income, a copy of their utility bill and proof of social security numbers for all household members.
- The Nicor Gas Budget Plan is a bill management program that provides a convenient way for customers to pay their natural gas bills, making household budgeting much easier. The plan minimizes the "peaks and valleys" in natural gas bills by allowing customers to pay a consistent amount every month for a 12-month period. Customers interested in enrolling in the budget plan should visit nicorgas.com and look under the Pay Your Bill section.
- The Nicor Gas Energy Efficiency Program offers ideas and rebates to help customers save energy and money. The program provides the education, resources and financial rebates to make homes and businesses more energy efficient. For energy-saving tips and tools, visit NicorGasRebates.com.
For additional information about each of these programs and managing natural gas costs, please visit nicorgas.com.
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services, midstream operations and cargo shipping. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves approximately 630,000 retail energy customers and approximately 1.2 million customer service contracts through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management, ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities, and ownership of Tropical Shipping, one of the largest containerized cargo carriers serving the Bahamas and Caribbean region. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.