Nicor Gas Reminds Customers of Safety Guidelines During Winter Storm
Blizzard Conditions Could Create Blowing and Drifting Snow; Keep Meters Clear to Ensure Safe Delivery of Natural Gas
February 1, 2015
NAPERVILLE, IL – With the arrival of the first major snowfall of the season, Nicor Gas wants to offer customers some safety tips to keep you and your family safe. Blowing and drifting snow can lead to snow and ice accumulation on or near a natural gas meter or outdoor appliance venting that may be dangerous if not removed. Snow and ice accumulation can cause equipment malfunctions and possibly lead to safety issues. A blocked exhaust vent can affect the performance of the furnace and can result in carbon monoxide buildup inside the home or building. To ensure safe and continued delivery of natural gas, Nicor Gas would like to remind customers of the following winter weather guidelines:
Keep meters clear of snow and ice
- Remove icicles that may drip water onto meter
- Use a broom to move snow away from meter; avoid using shovels or snow blowers
- Check outdoor vent openings and air intakes to ensure appliances are not obstructed by snow or ice or any other debris
- Ensure the gas meter is visible and accessible at all times
- Heavy snow and ice may weigh down power lines and tree limbs, causing them to fall. If a natural gas meter is damaged or gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call the 24-hour emergency response line, at 1-888-Nicor4u (1-888-642-6748) from a safe location
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services and midstream operations. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves approximately 630,000 retail energy customers and approximately 1.2 million customer service contracts through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.