Nicor Gas Warns of Carbon Monoxide Hazards During Extreme Cold
February 18, 2015
NAPERVILLE, IL – As temperatures plummet, Nicor Gas wants to remind customers of the potential dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning when using home heating appliances.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is odorless, colorless, and tasteless and has become known as the “silent killer.” It is produced when any fossil fuel, including natural gas, is burned. When fossil fuels do not burn properly, CO can build up and cause sickness – even death.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, on average about 170 people in the United States die every year from CO produced by non-automotive consumer products. These products include malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters and room heaters; engine-powered equipment such as portable generators; fireplaces; and charcoal that is burned in homes and other enclosed areas. CO claims the lives of hundreds of people every year and makes thousands more ill. Nicor Gas would like to offer the following tips to keep you and your family safe.
- Never heat your home with your gas range or oven.
- Never burn charcoal inside your home or garage.
- Always open the chimney flue when you use your fireplace.
- Never run a combustion engine, such as your car, lawn mower or snow blower, in enclosed areas.
Install a CO detector
- Install a CO detector near all bedrooms in the house.
- Do not install a detector near your kitchen or garage or in a room with a furnace.
- If your detector goes off and you feel ill, leave the house and call 911 or the local fire department. If you do not feel ill, push your detector's reset button. If the alarm goes off again after a few minutes, open the windows, leave the house and call 911 or the local fire department.
Recognize the symptoms of CO poisoning
- Dizziness, nausea, headache and coughing
- Irregular heartbeat
- Pale skin with cherry red lips and ear tips
Know what to do if you suspect CO poisoning
- Get fresh air and stay outside.
- Call 911 or the local fire department.
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services and midstream operations. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves approximately 630,000 retail energy customers and approximately 1.2 million customer service contracts through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.