Nicor Gas Reminds to Spring Forward for Daylight Saving Time Sunday
NAPERVILLE, IL – March 4, 2015 –Daylight Saving Time will occur this weekend, Sunday, March 8, at 2 a.m. Before you go to sleep Saturday night, be sure to move your clocks forward one hour. As we prepare to “spring forward,” Nicor Gas would like to offer some tips to help improve safety in your home.
Daylight Saving Tips
- Change smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector batteries. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that consumers change the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when they change the clocks for Daylight Saving Time.
- Replace air and furnace filters. Most filters should be cleaned or changed every 60 – 90 days. A clean filter will allow your system to run more efficiently.
- Adjust timer controls and programmable thermostats. Remember, some older thermostats do not have an internal clock and need to be adjusted manually.
- Take advantage of the extra hour of natural daylight and reduce lighting. Dim or turn off lights during the day.
- Check bulbs and lighting timers to be sure they are turning interior and exterior lights on/off at appropriate times.
- Change batteries in flashlights and weather radios. Spring officially begins on Friday, March 20.
- Before beginning any outdoor project involving digging, always call JULIE (811) first.
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services and midstream operations. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves approximately 630,000 retail energy customers and approximately 1.2 million customer service contracts through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.