Nicor Gas Supports Local Communities During 19th Annual Volunteer Day
Volunteers partnered with community-action agencies and nonprofit organizations to complete projects designed to contribute to the well-being of 14 northern Illinois communities. The projects, which focused on environmental education and sustainability, community enrichment and energy efficiency, included beautifying nature trails and sprucing up grounds, planting community gardens and organizing food pantries.
Volunteer Day, which has taken place on the third Saturday of May since 1996, is one of the largest single-day corporate volunteer initiatives benefiting cities and towns in the Nicor Gas service area. It also culminates AGL Resources Volunteer Week, an initiative that spans six states and supports the company’s ongoing mission to make a difference in the communities it serves through its philanthropic and volunteer efforts. AGL Resources is the parent company of Nicor Gas.
Nicor Gas employees Tifani Hish and Jesse Wood help landscape the grounds of McClean County Habitat for Humanity in Bloomington.
Volunteer activities were completed at the following locations:
- Food packaging at the Feed My Starving Children facility in Aurora.
- Painting and outdoor cleaning activities at Habitat ReStore in Aurora.
- Mulching and outdoor cleanup at Mutual Ground in Aurora.
- Landscaping at the McLean County Habitat for Humanity in Bloomington.
- Landscaping and painting activities at Marcfirst group homes in Bloomington.
- Outdoor cleanup activities at Brookfield Zoo in Brookfield.
- Gardening and outdoor cleanup at the Salvation Army Food Pantry in DeKalb.
- Landscaping for a Downers Grove area women’s shelter. This project was sponsored by the AGL Resources women's employee resource group, Inspire.
- Outdoor cleanup at the Elmwood Park Library in Elmwood Park.
- Food sorting at the Northern Illinois Food Bank in Geneva.
- Outdoor cleanup at Senior Services Center in Joliet.
- Planting and landscaping activities at The Conservation Foundation in Montgomery.
- Outdoor cleanup at Lake Katherine Nature Center in Palos Heights.
- Painting and cleaning activities inside the Robbins Community Help Agency in Robbins. This project was sponsored by En Rapport, the AGL Resources African-American employee resource group.
- Food sorting at the Rock River Valley Food Pantry in Rockford.
- Indoor painting at Keeping Northern Illinois Beautiful in Rockford.
- Outdoor cleanup at Hearthstone Manor rehabilitative and nursing care facilities in Woodstock.
- Outdoor cleanup at the Kendall County Food Pantry in Yorkville.
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services and midstream operations. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves approximately 630,000 retail energy customers and approximately 1.2 million customer service contracts through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.