Summer Safety Heats Up for National Safety Month
NAPERVILLE, IL – June 1, 2015 – The month of June is National Safety Month, which focuses on reducing leading causes of injury and death at work, on the road and in our homes and communities. As families head outdoors for various activities, Nicor Gas would like to offer some safety tips to keep everyone safe this summer.
- Call before you dig! When starting an outdoor project involving digging, make contacting JULIE at 8-1-1 or 800.892.0123 part of your plans. Calls to the free locating service can be made up to 14 days in advance. The requests to have utility operators mark underground facilities, including natural gas, water, cable, telephone and electric lines, can be made 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
- If you smell the “rotten egg” odor often associated with natural gas, leave the area immediately and call 888.NICOR4U (642.6748) or call 911.
- Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your home.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill area at all times.
- Never burn charcoal inside your home or garage.
- Check the gas tank hose for leaks before using your grill for the first time each year. A light soap and water solution applied to the hose will quickly reveal escaping propane by releasing bubbles. If you determine your grill has a gas leak, by smell or the soapy bubble test, and there is no flame:
- Turn off the gas tank and grill.
- If the leak stops, have the grill serviced by a professional before using it again.
- If you smell gas while cooking, immediately move away from the grill and call 911. Do not attempt to move the grill.
Indoor safety measures
- Install a CO detector near all bedrooms in the house.
- If your detector goes off and you feel ill, leave the house and call 911 or the local fire department. If you do not feel ill, push your detector's reset button. If the alarm goes off again after a few minutes, open the windows, leave the house and call 911 or the local fire department.
- Replace air filters. Most filters should be cleaned or changed every 60 to 90 days. A clean filter will allow your system to run more efficiently.
- Change batteries in flashlights and weather radios in case of severe weather.
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services and midstream operations. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves approximately 630,000 retail energy customers and approximately 1.2 million customer service contracts through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.