Nicor Gas Offers Important Home Safety Tips as Daylight Saving Time Ends Nov. 1
NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Oct. 29, 2015 – Daylight Saving Time will end at 2 a.m., Sunday, Nov. 1. As we prepare to set our clocks back an hour, Nicor Gas would like to remind customers of the following potentially life-saving tips to help improve safety in their homes.
Tips to fall back safely
- Make it a semi-annual habit to change smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector batteries. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends that consumers change the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when they change the clocks for Daylight Saving Time.
- Clean smoke detectors of dust and cobwebs to ensure their sensitivity. Test smoke alarms at least once a month using the test button.
- Replace air and furnace filters. Most filters should be cleaned or changed every 60 – 90 days. A clean filter will allow system to run more efficiently.
- Adjust timer controls and programmable thermostats. Some older thermostats may not have an internal clock and need to be adjusted manually.
- Check around your home and garage. Discard flammable and other hazardous chemicals and materials.
- Have a fire escape plan for your family in case of a fire. Walk through your home and inspect all possible exits and escape routes.
- Check to see if your fire extinguishers need to be recharged or replaced. Read the instructions that come with the fire extinguisher and become familiar with its parts and operation before a fire breaks out.
- Check bulbs and lighting timers to ensure they are turning interior and exterior lights on/off at appropriate times.
- Change batteries in flashlights and weather radios. Keep working flashlights in bedrooms, kitchen and family room in case of a power outage.
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services and midstream operations. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.