Nicor Gas Offers Safety Guidelines During Extreme Cold Weather
Safety guidelines encourage customers to take appropriate steps to keep themselves and their families safe
NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Feb. 11, 2016 – With frigid temperatures upon us, Nicor Gas wants to offer customers some tips to keep their families safe during extreme weather.
Meter & Appliance Safety
- Keep meters clear of snow and ice.
- Remove icicles that may drip water onto the meter.
- Use a broom to move snow away from the meter; avoid using shovels or snow blowers.
- Check outdoor vent openings and air intakes to ensure appliances are not obstructed by snow or ice or any other debris.
- Ensure the natural gas meter is visible and accessible at all times.
- Heavy snow and ice may weigh down power lines and tree limbs, causing them to fall. If a natural gas meter is damaged or a gas line is exposed, immediately leave the area and call the 24-hour emergency response line, at 1-888-Nicor4u (1-888-642-6748) from a safe location.
- Install a CO detector near all bedrooms in the house.
- Do not install a detector near your kitchen or garage or in a room with a furnace.
- If customers smell natural gas or suspect carbon monoxide is present in their home or business, they should immediately leave the area and call 9-1-1 from a safe location.
- Residents are encouraged to seek medical attention immediately if anyone in their home or business experiences possible symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which include headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea and vomiting.
- Open curtains during the day to allow sunlight to heat your home naturally, and close curtains at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
- Keep furniture, drapes, stuffed animals and other objects away from your heating sources.
- Caulk and weather-strip drafty doors and windows.
- Use a heavy-duty, clear plastic sheet on a frame or tape clear plastic film to the inside of your window frames during the cold winter months.
- Caulk and seal air leaks where plumbing, ducting, or electrical wiring penetrates through exterior walls, floors and ceilings.
- Install insulated gaskets behind outlet and switch plates on exterior walls to prevent drafts.
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company with operations in natural gas distribution, retail operations, wholesale services and midstream operations. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves over one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.