Nicor Gas Encourages Work Zone Safety as Construction Season Begins
NAPERVILLE, Ill. – April 11, 2016 – With the start of construction season, Nicor Gas would like to remind drivers to be aware of their surroundings when approaching a work zone. Utility workers and contractors often perform work near roadways, on the shoulder, and/or within the right-of-way of active roads and highways in order to maintain or repair natural gas lines and facilities. As part of the awareness efforts, Nicor Gas is supporting National Work Zone Awareness Week, April 11-15 and would like to offer the following safety tips:
- Watch For Workers: Watch for workers wearing safety vests, which are usually orange and fluorescent lime-green with reflective trim. All workers must wear safety vests in the work-zone area.
- Expect The Unexpected: Normal speed limits may be reduced, traffic lanes may be changed, and people may be working on or near the road.
- Slow Down: Speeding is a major cause of work-zone crashes.
- Keep A Safe Distance: Allow the three-seconds rule to govern the amount of distance between your vehicle, the construction workers and their equipment.
- Pay Attention To The Signs: Arrow boards, signs and flaggers are present to help guide you safely through the work zone.
- Stay Alert And Minimize Distractions: Dedicate your full attention to the roadway and avoid distractions like changing radio stations or using cell phones while driving in a work zone.
For information about natural gas safety, visit www.nicorgas.com/safety.
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2.1 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company which owns and operates natural gas utilities, as well as retail energy and services, wholesale services and midstream businesses. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.