Nicor Gas Celebrates 20th Annual Volunteer Day
More than 500 employees to participate in 20 volunteer projects across northern Illinois
NAPERVILLE, Ill. – May 18, 2016 – Nicor Gas announced today that the company will celebrate its 20th annual Volunteer Day on Saturday, May 21. As part of the milestone celebration, more than 500 Nicor Gas and Pivotal Home Solutions employee volunteers will participate in 20 projects across northern Illinois during the day, also proclaimed Nicor Gas Volunteer Day by Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner.
Volunteers will partner with community action agencies and nonprofit organizations to complete projects designed to contribute to the well-being of communities throughout the Nicor Gas service territory. The projects include beautifying nature trails, organizing food pantries, interior and exterior painting, and the installation of a flag pole at a veterans shelter.
“This year’s Volunteer Day marks an important milestone for Nicor Gas as we celebrate the event’s 20th anniversary,” said Melvin D. Williams, president of Nicor Gas. “A volunteer effort that grew out of our support for United Way has become engrained in our culture, and exemplifies our corporate-wide value of Generosity of Spirit. This Saturday our dedicated team of employees will donate approximately 2,000 hours of volunteer service to our communities.”
Nicor Gas has been a part of the fabric of the community for more than 160 years. The company believes that part of its corporate responsibility is to give back to the 656 communities it serves. With a philanthropic focus designed to make a meaningful impact, the company strives to make communities more vibrant places to live and work.
Volunteer Day, which has taken place on the third Saturday of May since 1996, is one of the largest single-day corporate volunteer initiatives benefiting cities and towns in the Nicor Gas service area. It also culminates AGL Resources Volunteer Week, an initiative that spans six states and supports the company’s ongoing mission to make a difference in the communities it serves through its philanthropic and volunteer efforts. AGL Resources is the parent company of Nicor Gas.
Volunteer activities are planned for Saturday, May 21, at the following locations:
• Food packaging at the Feed My Starving Children facility in Aurora.
• Landscaping at the McLean County Habitat for Humanity in Bloomington.
• Landscaping and painting at Marcfirst group homes in Bloomington.
• Outdoor cleanup activities at Brookfield Zoo in Brookfield.
• Gardening and outdoor cleanup at the Salvation Army Food Pantry in DeKalb.
• Landscaping for a Downers Grove area women’s shelter.
• Landscaping and painting at the Greater Elgin Food Pantry in Elgin.
• Food sorting at the Northern Illinois Food Bank in Geneva.
• Landscaping at Warren Sharpe Center in Joliet.
• Planting and landscaping at the Conservation Foundation in Naperville.
• Outdoor cleanup and painting for an Oak Park area women’s shelter.
• Outdoor cleanup at Lake Katherine Nature Center in Palos Heights.
• Food sorting at the Rock River Valley Food Pantry in Rockford.
• Indoor painting at Keeping Northern Illinois Beautiful in Rockford.
• Invasive species removal at Sand Ridge Nature Center in South Holland.
• Planting and landscaping at the Warehouse Project in Summit.
• Children’s information booth at West Chicago Blooming Fest in West Chicago.
• Planting and flag pole installation at Midwest Shelter for Homeless Vets in Wheaton.
• Outdoor cleanup at Hearthstone Manor rehabilitative and nursing care facilities in Woodstock.
• Outdoor cleanup at the Kendall County Food Pantry in Yorkville.
To learn more about Nicor Gas’ community involvement, visit https://nicorgas.com/community/community-involvement.
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2.1 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company which owns and operates natural gas utilities, as well as retail energy and services, wholesale services and midstream businesses. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a Fortune 500 company and a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.