Nicor Gas offers tips for summer safety
Enjoy summertime activities by being aware and using safe practices
NAPERVILLE, Ill. – June 20, 2016 – With the summer season officially underway, Nicor Gas would like to encourage customers to make the most of the season by practicing safety in their homes and communities. Safety is a core value and top priority for the company, and Nicor Gas would like to offer the following guidelines to keep families safe this summer:
- Call before you dig! When starting an outdoor project involving digging, make contacting JULIE at 8-1-1 or 800.892.0123 part of your plans. Calls to the free locating service can be made up to 14 days in advance. The requests to have utility operators mark underground facilities, including natural gas, water, cable, telephone and electric lines, can be made 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
- If you smell the “rotten egg” odor often associated with natural gas, leave the area immediately and call 888.Nicor4U (642.6748) or call 911.
- Keep your natural gas grill at least 10 feet away from your home.
- Keep children and pets away from the grilling area at all times.
- Never grill in an enclosed area with no ventilation.
Indoor Safety Measures
- Install a CO detector near all bedrooms in the house.
- If your detector goes off and you feel ill, leave the house and call 911 or the local fire department from a safe location. If you do not feel ill, push your detector's reset button. If the alarm goes off again after a few minutes, open the windows, leave the house and call 911 or the local fire department from a safe place.
- Replace air filters. Most filters should be cleaned or changed every 60 to 90 days. A clean filter will allow your system to run more efficiently.
- Change batteries in flashlights and weather radios in case of severe weather.
About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS), is a natural gas distribution company that serves more than 2.1 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.
About AGL Resources
AGL Resources (NYSE: GAS) is an Atlanta-based energy services holding company which owns and operates natural gas utilities, as well as retail energy and services, wholesale services and midstream businesses. AGL Resources serves approximately 4.5 million utility customers through its regulated distribution subsidiaries in seven states. The company also serves more than one million retail customers through its SouthStar Energy Services joint venture and Pivotal Home Solutions, which market natural gas and related home services. Other non-utility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers through Sequent Energy Management and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. AGL Resources is a member of the S&P 500 Index. For more information, visit www.aglresources.com.