Nicor Gas employees are inextricably woven into the communities we are privileged to serve. We maintain local offices across our service territory, you might see our crews working in your neighborhood or find us at community events. We welcome opportunities to visit schools to educate students about careers in natural gas and natural gas safety.
We’re proud to support Camp GADgET and encourage young women to consider careers in manufacturing and other nontraditional roles. On July 24 at Triton College, Nicor Gas women who work in nontraditional roles shared their educational and career experiences with Camp GADgET participants. They incorporated the uniforms required to accomplish certain tasks, as well as equipment demonstrations.
Warm Homes, Warm Hearts
Nicor Gas team members put their energy into building a new home in coordination with Fox Valley Habitat For Humanity.
21th Annual Volunteer Day
Nicor Gas celebrated its 21st annual Volunteer Day Saturday, May 20, 2017. More than 450 employees, their families and friends volunteered in their local communities. This event consisted of 19 service projects in northern Illinois communities. Volunteers partnered with community action agencies and nonprofit organizations to contribute 1,700 hours in just one day.
A few of Saturday's activities included:
• Construction of a new home with Fox Valley Habitat for Humanity in Aurora
• Outdoor cleanup at the Salvation Army Food Pantry in DeKalb
• Food sorting at the Northern Illinois Food Bank in Geneva
• Landscaping, gardening and painting at Marcfirst group homes in Normal
• Indoor painting at Keep Northern Illinois Beautiful in Rockford
• Outdoor cleanup at Sand Ridge Nature Center in South Holland
• Building a sustainable garden at Midwest Shelter for Homeless Vets in Wheaton
• Outdoor cleanup at Hearthstone Manor rehabilitative and nursing care facilities in Woodstock
Since 1996, the one-day effort has occurred on the third Saturday of May and is one of the largest single-day corporate volunteer initiatives benefiting communities served by Nicor Gas. Learn More.
Party for the Planet
Every day is Earth Day at Brookfield Zoo, but the zoo’s annual Party for the Planet celebration April 23 showcased how guests can take small steps to make a big impact for animals around the world.
The day-long extravaganza, presented by energySMART, a Nicor Gas Program, featured fun and environmentally-friendly activities for the entire family.
Free Energy-Saving Kits
You can often find our energySMART team at community events, giving away energy-savings kits and offering energy efficiency information.
• May 18 -- Festival of Cultures in Skokie
• May 10 -- Kendall County Food Pantry
• April 7 -- Holi Festival of Colors in Naperville
• April 6 -- Chicagoland Speedways Go Green for Spring event
• March 30 -- DeKalb Community Expo
• March 12 -- Going Green Matters in Wilmette
• March 11 -- Business and Community Showcase in Lake Zurich
• Feb. 24-26 -- 37th Annual Home Show in Rockford
We donated $5,000 to the Red Cross in Bloomington to aid local families following the devastation of a home fire.
Nicor Gas was once again a proud sponsor of this event, and hosted an interactive booth for children on the weekends. It was great fun to watch kids dress up as Junior Excavators and learn how natural gas pipelines deliver natural gas to their homes and schools.
Thanks to all of the energetic kids who stopped by our booth to learn about natural gas safety at the Kids’ Fair in Plainfield.
We hosted students from the Chicago Public Schools Regional Gifted Center at one of our natural gas storage facilities.
Our energySMART team partnered with Rebuilding Together Metro Chicago to provide customers with free home weatherization.
STEM Training Program
Nicor Gas partnered with the National Latino Education Institute for their STEM training program for displaced or laid-off workers.
Girl Scouts Energy Workshop
We had a blast sharing our career experiences in the energy industry at a Girl Scouts Energy Workshop
Nicor Gas is a proud participant of CONSTRUCT, an 11-week program that offers training, information and guidance that’s needed to complete for entry-level jobs in construction-related fields.
CONSTRUCT is powered by an alliance of companies, social service agencies and labor unions that are committed to removing barriers for anyone interested in the construction industry. Learn more about Construct and our other educational partnerships here.
On April 7, 2017 Construct job readiness program participants participated in an event where they received career advice from Nicor Gas HR leaders.