Skip to main content.
Nicor Gas building
Nicor Gas building

Nicor Gas never stops working for customers and communities

One year of safe and reliable natural gas delivery during pandemic recognized on Natural Gas Utility Workers’ Day, March 18

NAPERVILLE, Ill. – March 18, 2021 – For many, the working world changed a year ago in March but for Nicor Gas employees, the commitment to deliver clean safe, reliable and affordable natural gas never stopped. Utility workers are essential personnel and whether in the field or office, Nicor Gas employees continued to fuel customers’ homes and businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Nearly 60% of the Nicor Gas’ workforce have continued to report to work in a variety of first responder and field positions. The remaining 40% of its personnel continue to work remotely until further notice, including 90% of customer contact center representatives. There were no company workforce reductions during the pandemic for Nicor Gas employees and or its labor partners who worked diligently to deliver safe and reliable natural gas. In fact, Nicor Gas promoted 180 employees and hired more than 100 new employees since the start of the pandemic last year.

“This past year has been one for the record books in more ways than one,” said John O. Hudson III, president and CEO of Nicor Gas. “It’s fitting that on Natural Gas Utility Workers’ Day we recognize the flexibility and increased demands of our employees who never stopped working while meeting new guidelines to continue safely serving our customers.”

Natural Gas Utility Worker’s Day is organized annually by the American Public Gas Association to recognize the employees who work to ensure the essential energy source is distributed safely.

Field employees across all Southern Company Gas local distribution companies, including Nicor Gas, completed more than 1.7 million service and emergency work orders in the past year, some of which required the entry of homes and businesses with customers who were suspected or confirmed cases of COVID-19. With safety as its No. 1 value, Nicor Gas developed COVID-19 job aids and other supplemental materials, and acquired PPE including gloves, face coverings, protective suits and sanitizer to keep employees, customers and communities safe.

While Nicor Gas continued to help minimize community health impacts, it also addressed economic hardships in the communities it serves by providing more than $1.3 million to COVID-19 relief efforts to help address food insecurity, housing and homelessness, substance abuse and mental health support, and child/family and senior services.

Additional resources extended to customers in need through corporate partnerships include:

  • More than 2,000 brand new winter coats were distributed to children from low-income families through a partnership with Operation Warm.
  • In partnership with Shipt and vendor partners Richards Graphics and T. Castro Produce, Nicor Gas provided food and essential goods care packages to more than 2,000 Nicor Gas customers.
  • Together with its employees, Nicor Gas contributed nearly $900,000 in grants to the United Way to benefit hundreds of community partners throughout northern Illinois.
  • During Nicor Gas’ Warm Homes, Warmer Hearts campaign, funding supported the United Way of Metro Chicago’s Uniting for the Holidays drive-through events that provided thousands of families a meal and gifts during the months of November and December.

“We have been living with the realities of the COVID-19 pandemic for over a year now,” Hudson said. “As fatigued as many of us may be with the restrictions in place, it is our moral obligation that we remain even more intentional in our commitment to our customers and communities that we are privileged to serve.”

For information visit nicorgas.com/together.

###

About Nicor Gas
Nicor Gas is one of four natural gas distribution companies of Southern Company Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO). Nicor Gas serves more than 2.2 million customers in a service territory that encompasses most of the northern third of Illinois, excluding the city of Chicago. For more information, visit www.nicorgas.com.

About Southern Company Gas
Southern Company Gas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE:SO), America’s premier energy company.  Southern Company Gas serves approximately 4.2 million natural gas utility customers through its regulated distribution companies in four states with 774,000 retail customers through its companies that market natural gas and related home services. Other nonutility businesses include investments in interstate pipelines, asset management for natural gas wholesale customers and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. For more information, visit Southern Company Gas at southerncompanygas.com

Media Contact:
Jennifer Golz
o: 630.388.3737  |  c: 331.222.8716 |  jgolz@southernco.com